YMCA Next Stop Canada (Next Stop Canada Mentor)Organization Name: YMCA Next Stop Canada
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Mentor
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: August 15, 2021
End Date: February 28, 2022
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
Program Description: Next Stop Canada (NSC) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival clients who are destined for Canada. This online program helps individuals overseas prepare for immigration to Canada by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties: Next Stop Canada is an online portal for pre-arrival immigrants to virtually connect with professionals in Canada who are currently working in their desired field. All communication is done online via the Next Stop Canada platform, or via email with YMCA staff. Under the direct supervision of YMCA staff, volunteers:
- Answer questions from pre-arrival immigrants and recommend resources to help them with their career and settlement needs.
- Respond to questions within one week.
- Share immigration experiences and provide practical settlement tips to pre-arrival professionals.
- Minimum age 23
- Preferably has life experience as a newcomer.
- Post-secondary education and currently employed in specialized career industry (example: engineering, nursing, teaching etc.)
- Volunteers must be certified in their career field if industry standards require it.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate some technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, reliable and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Only qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring newcomers have a positive transition into Canadian society.
- Expand your network.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge Street
Other YMCA Next Stop Canada Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Connections for Seniors is recruiting Food Delivery Volunteers to help deliver Food Bank Hampers or Grocery Supplies to seniors in the …Read More
Description: Community Volunteers Wanted! Become a CVITP Volunteer! Volunteers are needed to help file simple income tax returns for eligible people …Read More
Description: Our volunteers become part of a dedicated group of people who provide an invaluable service to our community and to survivors of sexual …Read More
Description: Saturday Recreation: – Program runs on Saturdays from 10 am- 1 pm Activities provided are sports such as dodge ball, capture the flag, …Read More
Description: Do you like connecting with and learning about people? Are you compassionate, curious, and community-driven? The Community Correspondent …Read More