This volunteer opportunity has expired!
The Canadian Red Cross (Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder)Organization Name: The Canadian Red Cross
Opportunity Title: Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: February 15, 2018
End Date: December 31, 2018
- Background/police check required
- Training or orientation required
Disaster Management – Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder
Volunteer – Two (2) Years, Renewable
Flexible; various locations across Newfoundland and Labrador (including St. John’s, Mount Pearl, Paradise, Conception Bay South, Labrador City, Happy Valley Goose Bay, Corner Brook, Gander, Grand Falls)
The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking an Emergency Response Team (ERT) Responder for Disaster Management (DM). Reporting to the ERT Supervisor, the ERT Responder will be responsible for various emergency shelter and reception centre response activities in addition to other responsibilities related to emergency preparedness.
The Emergency Response Team (ERT) is activated for responses that exceed Personal Disaster Assistance (PDA) capacity. The incumbent of this position will be assigned to deliver a specific service on site during a response, however, must know how to deliver all services at the ERT level. During non-response times, the ERT Responder may resume duties as a PDA Responder.
Responsibility 1. Disaster Response
- Assist in the set up, running and/or closing of a service within a reception centre, shelter or other site as directed by the ERT Supervisor;
- Conduct client needs assessment to determine immediate, short and long-term needs of clients, as appropriate;
- Provide appropriate services as assigned, based on the Technical Standards and the National Disaster Assistance Guidelines;
- Communicate and report on progress, as appropriate, to the ERT Supervisor;
- Provide comfort to clients;
- Provide referrals to partner agencies and other community based groups;
- Complete necessary paperwork (i.e. Goods and Services Vouchers, Registration & Inquiry cards, daily statistics, activity logs, etc.);
- Participate in the debriefing and review of the delivery of the assigned services.
Responsibility 2. Preparedness Activities
- Actively engage in team preparedness activities including emergency planning and kit preparedness;
- Attend meetings as required;
- Support ERT Supervisor in materials/inventory management, as needed;
- Support with supplier agreements, as appropriate;
- Support the ERT Supervisor in planning and organizing services.
Contributes to a healthy and safe working environment.
Performs other duties, as required.
The incumbent must have the commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the CRCS: team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused.
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference check.
- This position requires a satisfactory vulnerable sector check
Education and Experience:
- Completion of High School Diploma or equivalent experience;
- Experience in an emergency environment, an asset.
- Understanding of Red Cross role in disaster response, relief and recovery, an asset
- Computer literacy is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Language requirements vary – responders must be able to deliver services as appropriate
- Customer service skills – provides comfort and care, patience in dealing with upset clients, active listening to understanding needs, finding a solution and good communication so client understands services available and how to obtain
- Communication skills – verbal and non-verbal cues, active listening, clearly able explain self and confirm understanding from client
- Attention to detail – accuracy in completing forms, giving information, completing necessary paperwork
- Ability to work well within a team – share information, be helpful, respectful, approachable, build strong relationships
- Dependable – timely, takes initiative and ownership of work, completes tasks without being asked or with little supervision
- Remains calm during a crisis – does not allow emotions to get in the way, does not take things personally, stays positive, responds decisively
- Potential for responding in disaster areas, as well as difficult and unstable conditions (environmental, physical, social, etc.) and uncomfortable conditions (noise, odours, smoke, humidity, vulnerable clients). These stressful rapidly changing environments with limited information to make decisions have the potential to affect the physical and psychological state of the responders on site.
- Potential for basic or hardship living conditions/accommodations.
- The incumbent may need to stand for several hours.
- The incumbent may need to lift up to 20 kg of relief supplies during preparedness activities and during response.
- Ability to respond during non-traditional hours (i.e. late night or weekends) and long hours of work in a demanding context.
- Ability to be on-call when scheduled, as required.
- Ability to respond in local community (3 days minimum) and outside of their community (10 days minimum).
A valid provincial driver’s licence and First Aid Certification (training provided) is required. This position also requires a successful Canadian criminal record check with vulnerable sector screening. Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information and to apply, please head to our website provided below
Get DirectionsSt. John’s, NL
Other The Canadian Red Cross Volunteer Opportunities
Category: Computers / Technology / IT
Description: Region: Various Locations across Newfoundland & Labrador Application deadline: February 01, 2019 The Canadian Red Cross Society, a …Read More
Volunteer Resource Services – Administrative Assistant Volunteer (Various Locations Across Newfoundland & Labrador)Organization: The Canadian Red Cross
Category: Administration / Clerical / Office
Description: Region: Various Locations Across Newfoundland & Labrador Application deadline: December 31, 2018 Do you enjoy working with others …Read More
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: The after school program at Virginia Park Community Centre runs from 2:30-4:45 pm Monday to Friday. Volunteers will help with …Read More