The Refugee and Immigrant Advisory Council (Volunteer English Language Instructors and Conversation Partners Needed)Organization Name: The Refugee and Immigrant Advisory Council
Opportunity Title: Volunteer English Language Instructors and Conversation Partners Needed
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: June 15, 2018
End Date: June 15, 2019
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Family-oriented volunteering
The Refugee and Immigrant Advisory Council, a local nonprofit organization that provides information and assistance to refugees and immigrants in St. John’s, seeks motivated, dedicated volunteers to teach free English as a Second Language classes to newcomers and to meet one-on-one with newcomers through the Conversation Partner Program. We are currently hiring volunteers for BOTH positions.
English Language Teacher Volunteer Responsibilities:
• Teach/Tutor English language classes to adult students; classes occur on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings from 7pm to 9pm, and Tuesday afternoons from 1pm-3pm.
• Provide guidance and support to English learners when they approach you with questions about improving their English and/or concerns about their current level of English.
• Each class includes a textbook lesson, and a practical lesson created by the instructor. Volunteers alternate between teaching and tutoring each week. No teaching experience or ESL certifications are required, but we consider both an asset.
Conversation Partner Volunteer Responsibilities:
• Meet with an ESL student one hour per week to have a casual conversation in English.
• Keep track of volunteer hours and read the Conversation Partner Handbook for guidance.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering your time!