This volunteer opportunity has expired!
The Canadian Red Cross (Personal Disaster Assistance (PDA) Responder – Across Canada)Organization Name: The Canadian Red Cross
Opportunity Title: Personal Disaster Assistance (PDA) Responder – Across Canada
Category: Other Positions
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: July 31, 2019
End Date: December 31, 2020
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
Posted: May 29, 2019
Region: Across Canada
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Personal Disaster Assistance (PDA) Responder Volunteer for the Disaster Management program.
What will you do
Working collaboratively as part of an experienced team of trained responders and supervisors, you will:
- Conduct client needs assessment to determine immediate and short-term needs of clients for items such as shelter, food, clothing, and transportation
- Provide emotional care and comfort to clients;
- Provide referrals to partner agencies and other community-based groups for services;
- Work with your team and your supervisor to ensure response supplies are always properly stocked and available;
- Work with your team and your supervisor to ensure the overall health, safety and security of the team you work with;
- Conduct emergency preparedness activities.
What you bring and can further develop with the organization
- Customer Service Skills – provide comfort and care, patience in dealing with upset clients, active listening to understanding needs, finding a solution and good communication so clients understand the services available and how to obtain them;
- Commitment – to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the Canadian Red Cross: team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused;
- Language – responders can deliver services as appropriate in English or French;
- Communication skills – understanding of verbal and non-verbal cues, active listening, clearly able to explain and confirm understanding from client;
- Attention to detail – accuracy in maintaining logs, in completing forms, giving information statistics and financial documentation for use of service, as required;
- Data entry – able to enter data into a computerised database through a structured form. Able to use an email account to read, print and reply to emails (including opening attachments);
- Teamwork – share information, be helpful, respectful, approachable, build strong relationships;
- Dependability – Timely, takes initiative and ownership of work;
- Remains calm during a crisis – Don’t allow emotions to get in the way, don’t take things personally, stay positive, and respond decisively.
- Completed a high school Diploma and/or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Red Cross in disaster response, relief and recovery is an asset.
What we offer
As an Emergency Management volunteer, you’ll help people to be better prepared, better connected to each other and more resilient when emergencies happen. The Red Cross will ensure you have training, ongoing support and access to other opportunities within the World’s largest humanitarian network.
- The majority of preparedness work is performed in community or in an office environment which is clean and comfortable.
- The majority of the response work is performed in an environment which is moderately clean and comfortable.
- Potential for responding in disaster areas with vulnerable populations, as well as difficult and unstable conditions (environmental, physical, social, etc.) and uncomfortable conditions (noise, odors, smoke, humidity).
- Able to work non-traditional hours (daytime, evenings and weekends), be on-call and respond to emergency/disaster related requests periodically.
- Ability to respond in your local community and outside of your community periodically. Responders may be asked, if available, to work for 3 days or more in large-scale events.
- Valid driver’s license is required if driving for society business; clear driver’s abstract (3 years) required if using Red Cross vehicles; access to transportation is mandatory.
- Completion of online courses as well as in-person training is required as part of orientation and ongoing learning.
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference check and a satisfactory vulnerable sector check.
If you’re aged eighteen years or older and have a genuine desire to assist vulnerable and displaced people before, during and after an emergency event, this role may be for you.
Tell us about yourself along with any skills and experience you can bring to Red Cross by completing an online application. We thank you for applying!
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All volunteer applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome applications from all applicants particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification and share our values.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.
Get DirectionsAcross Canada
Other The Canadian Red Cross Volunteer Opportunities
Other Other Positions Volunteer Opportunities
Description: Habitat for Humanity ReStore accepts donations of quality new and used building materials, furniture, appliances and other goods from …Read More
Description: The St. John’s Farmers’ Market recognizes the importance of volunteers to the development of strong and connected communities across Canada, …Read More
Description: The volunteer would fill the position of the Community Outreach Volunteer at our Provincial Office in Mount Pearl. Our hours of operation …Read More
Description: (la version française suit) ** This volunteer opportunity is virtual. Strong communication skills in both English and French are …Read More