Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada (Support Group Facilitator)Organization Name: Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada
Opportunity Title: Support Group Facilitator
Category: Counselling / Support / Mentoring
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: September 22, 2015
End Date: September 24, 2029
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
A support group facilitator has many roles including:
- Developing and maintain a safe environment for members
- Encouraging discussion and sharing
- Promoting cooperation and cohesion
- Encouraging reflection and recognition
- Assisting in the evolution of support within the group
- Promoting the support group in the community
- Manage conflict in the group
The Support Group Facilitator supports and directs the process of the support meetings. They may be required to help the group discuss an issue, solve interpersonal difficulties, provide assistance to group members looking for community resources, arrange guest speakers, develop weekly topics and ensure the meeting meets the member’s bill of rights. It is the role of the Facilitator to ensure that the needs of each person attending the group are met within the scope of the group’s mandate.
Goal/Outcome of Position: To provide the ongoing facilitation of an open support group to Canadians in your community affected by brain tumours.
Qualifications: Good communication and interpersonal skills are required. Problem-solving skills and leadership qualities are also necessary. The facilitator must be comfortable with guiding conversation within the group and be comfortable discussing difficult topics and issues with the group.