St. John’s Farmers’ Market (We’re recruiting Market Volunteers for the St. John’s Farmers’ Market!)Organization Name: St. John’s Farmers’ Market
Opportunity Title: We’re recruiting Market Volunteers for the St. John’s Farmers’ Market!
Category: Other Positions
Commitment: Less than 6 months, 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: August 2, 2019
End Date: August 1, 2099
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Training or orientation required
The St. John’s Farmers’ Market recognizes the importance of volunteers to the development of strong and connected communities across Canada, and to the growth of a more diverse, inclusive, and vibrant St. John’s community in particular. Since the Market’s inception, volunteers have played a valuable role in its operation, and will continue to do so as the Market grows and takes on new and exciting challenges.
The job of a Market Volunteer is to assist the St. John’s Farmers’ Market staff, including the Executive Director, Market Manager, and Events Manager, on Market days. Assignments and activities may include:
• Helping to set up and take down tables, tents, signs, etc.
• Staffing the information table
• Answering consumer questions (e.g. locations of restrooms and ATMs)
• Assisting Market Café staff (e.g. making coffee)
• Directing foot traffic
• Managing stall lines to prevent the obstruction of foot traffic around the market
• Vendor support (e.g. relieving vendors for short breaks, providing drink refills for outdoor
vendors, re-stocking re-usable dishware for hot food vendors)
• Keeping the Market Café eating area and other spaces in the market clean and free of
Market days happen every Saturday from 9:00AM to 4:00PM, the first Friday of every month from 5:00PM to 9:00PM, and for this summer, every Sunday from 11:00AM to 4:00PM (in the fall, Sunday markets will return to the second Sunday of every month). Volunteer shifts are available for 4 hours on Fridays, 4 or 8 hours on Saturdays, and 3 or 6 hours on Sundays.
The process for applying to be a volunteer with us is to fill out and return our application form (which will be sent in response to inquiries). If we think you’ll be a good fit for the organization, you’ll be contacted to schedule an in-person interview. If you’re recruited as a volunteer, you will attend a group orientation session – and then you’ll be on your way to helping out on market days!