YMCA Next Stop Canada (Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual)Organization Name: YMCA Next Stop Canada
Opportunity Title: Next Stop Canada Youth Mentor- Virtual
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: 6 months to 1 year
Start Date: September 2, 2020
End Date: January 31, 2021
- Appropriate for youth (i.e., less than 18)
Location: Virtual volunteers provide volunteer support remotely.
Program Description: Next Stop Canada Youth (NSCY) is a program that provides online settlement support, learning opportunities, and mentorship to pre-arrival youth ages 12 to 19 who are destined for Canada. This online program helps overseas youth prepare for immigration by providing them with the information, knowledge, and resources needed to quickly adapt and integrate into Canadian society.
Major Duties May Include:
- Mentoring and chatting with pre-arrival youth to help them with their settlement needs.
- Sharing immigration experience and providing practical settlement tips to pre-arrival youth.
- Working with other NSCY mentors to develop NSCY online content (blogs, vlogs).
- Attending monthly online meetings to further develop skills and provide input for NSCY.
- Attending two live-chat sessions per month to engage with pre-arrival youth on the platform.
- Assisting with meetings including facilitating discussions, helping with activity set-up, and post-activity clean up (if needed).
- Completing mentor training.
- Six months commitment which includes monthly online meetings, one hour per week for live-chat sessions and may include additional projects which can be completed virtually.
- Age range 14 – 24.
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with people from different cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate good technological experience and usage of social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Twitter)
- Responsible, punctual, outgoing and friendly while demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Must demonstrate strong communication and team work skills.
- Experience working with newcomers or have life experience as a newcomer is an asset.
- Make a difference in your community by ensuring overseas newcomer youth have a positive transition into Canadian society while earning volunteer hours.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of the YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Build new skills and learning strategies through facilitated training. Last Updated: December
Apply For Volunteer Opportunity
Get Directions2200 Yonge
Other YMCA Next Stop Canada Volunteer Opportunities
Other Social and Community Service Volunteer Opportunities
Description: The after school program at Virginia Park Community Centre runs from 2:30-4:45 pm Monday to Friday. Volunteers will help with …Read More
Description: Volunteer with Planned Parenthood Newfoundland and Labrador Sexual Health Centre. Planned Parenthood NLSHC relies heavily on volunteer …Read More
Description: Saturday Recreation: – Program runs on Saturdays from 10 am- 1 pm Activities provided are sports such as dodge ball, capture the flag, …Read More
Description: Home Again is a recently established non-profit organization that aims to fill a gap in services for our most vulnerable citizens. We …Read More