NL Sexual Assault Crisis Centre (NLSACPC Crisis & Support Line Volunteer)Organization Name: NL Sexual Assault Crisis Centre
Opportunity Title: NLSACPC Crisis & Support Line Volunteer
Category: Other Positions
Commitment: Less than 6 months, 6 months to 1 year, Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: April 15, 2023
End Date: January 1, 2099
- Background/police check required
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
Our volunteers become part of a dedicated group of people who provide an invaluable service to our community and to survivors of sexual violence in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Involvement with the Centre gives volunteers the opportunity to gain experience, knowledge, and skills in many areas, including crisis intervention, advocacy, not-for-profit organizations, and a variety of issues related to violence. Volunteers are trained to take shifts on our province-wide 24 Hour Support and Information Line available at 1-800-726-2743.
The responsibilities of volunteers at the NL Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre are:
- Minimum number of shifts on the 24 Hour Support and Information Line per month (changes with number of active volunteers)
- Accompany survivors to the hospital or police station when on-call
- Attend one monthly Volunteer Meeting
- Submit Call Statistic Forms within 48 hours of receiving a call
- Commit to a minimum of one-year volunteering with the NLSACPC
Submit signed documentation as per NLSACPC policies (Confidentiality Agreement, Certificate of Conduct, Volunteer Contact Information, etc.)
- Commit to ongoing self-care
- Support Centre outreach, education, and awareness initiatives
OUR COMMITMENT TO OUR VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers are a very valuable resource and we will provide volunteers with:
- Training and orientation to perform required duties
- Feedback and support from fellow volunteers and staff
- Opportunities to use existing skills and develop new ones
- Recognition for efforts and accomplishments
TRAINING AND HOW TO APPLY
Our training takes place 3 times a year and is open to anyone who is interested in supporting people in crisis and are in a place in their lives where they have the capacity to do this incredibly difficult work. People who enjoy training are typically those who feel open to learning with others and want to help people in crisis. Training is open to all genders and gender identities. Our volunteers identify as feminist, pro-choice, LGBTQ+ supportive, and empathetic.
All volunteers must be at least 19 years old, able to deal with people in crisis in a calm, effective, and non-judgmental manner, have excellent communication and listening skills, able to work without direct supervision, and support the beliefs, goals, and policies of the NLSACPC.
To apply for our next volunteer training session, please email sva@EndSexualViolence.com for scheduling details and an application package.