March of Dimes Canada (Communication Facilitator *VIRTUAL*)Organization Name: March of Dimes Canada
Opportunity Title: Communication Facilitator *VIRTUAL*
Category: Social and Community Service
Commitment: Ongoing Opportunity (> 1 year)
Start Date: July 14, 2022
End Date: July 8, 2032
- Appropriate for volunteers aged between 18 and 55
- Appropriate for volunteers aged 55 and over
- Training or orientation required
|Aphasia and Communication Disabilities Program (ACDP), Aphasia Peer Connect programs (APC), After Stroke programs (AS).|
|Impact of the Role|
|Volunteer engagement in the ACDP, APC and AS programs enhances opportunities for clients to build social connections and have conversations in a safe, supportive and communicatively accessible environment. Communication Facilitators help reduce social isolation and improve self-confidence, independence and quality of life of clients by providing them with an outlet for expression in a safe and supportive environment.
● Participate in the program at a pre-determined date and time on a weekly basis.
● Assist staff by welcoming clients and co-hosting large-group discussions.
● Enable clients to take part in social conversations by being observant of those needing more communication support.
● Prepare and share resources for the group, as directed by staff.
● Participate in pre/post session meetings as well as de-brief meetings (as scheduled) with a program staff member.
● Be aware of the boundaries of your role and use supervision to clarify when uncertainties arise.
● Inform staff of any lateness and absences in a timely manner.
● Track monthly volunteer hours.
● Adhere to all MODC policies, procedures and guidelines.