FIXT POINT Arts & Media (Empathy Squad *VIRTUAL* Audio Storytelling and Podcasting (Winter 2024))Organization Name: FIXT POINT Arts & Media
Opportunity Title: Empathy Squad *VIRTUAL* Audio Storytelling and Podcasting (Winter 2024)
Category: Heritage / Museums
Commitment: Less than 6 months
Start Date: January 8, 2024
End Date: March 15, 2024
Gather Oral Histories to Foster Empathy and Build your Podcasting Skills.
The Empathy Squad is a hands-on, experiential-service-learning opportunity for diverse youth from across Canada aimed at creating meaningful connections and increasing understanding of one another through public engagement, facilitated conversations, active listening and presentation, aimed at capturing and preserving our country’s collective community memory for generations to come.
The Empathy Squad program is made possible by the Canada Service Corps.
As a participant, you will:
✅ Acquire the knowledge and practical skills needed to produce high-quality audio stories: interviewing and recording techniques, audio-editing, narrative shaping, and sound design;
✅ Volunteer in service of your community, learn about what’s important to them through active listening and help foster empathy for their lived experiences;
✅ Experience hands-on learning alongside fellow future leaders and from industry professionals across the country.
- Have access to strong internet connection and a laptop available on which you can download and install: Slack (Mac OS / Windows OS), Descript (find system requirements here), Google Chrome, Zoom;
- Attend scheduled Zoom sessions that consist of live demonstrations, instructional videos and feedback sharing from facilitators, Guest Artists and peers;
- Apply learnings by conducting interviews, using audio recording equipment, and completing assignments using audio-editing software, Descript;
- Engage with facilitators and peers using program communication platforms (Slack, Zoom, provided Empathy Squad email address);
- Commit 10-12 hours a week, including scheduled Zoom sessions and work in your own time.
Application Process and Timeline:
Interested volunteer are asked to fill out an application form here: https://www.fixtpoint.com/empathysquad-apply
NOTE: Applications for Cohorts 15 & 16 are now closed.
Cohorts 17 & 18 will run simultaneously from January to March 2024. Applications for Cohorts 17 & 18 will remain open until further notice!
- As a program funded by the Canada Service Corps, applicants must be aged 18 to 30 years at the start of the program, and reside in Canada for the duration of the program.
- Applications are open to individuals across the country.
- The training component is delivered virtually in pre-scheduled and synchronous sessions via Zoom.
Fill out our application form and find the full program schedule for Cohorts 17&18 here: https://www.fixtpoint.com/empathysquad-apply
About FiXT POiNT Arts and Media:
FIXT POINT is a Toronto-based arts & media company with national reach. Our mandate is to inspire audiences and artists to imagine change, and our mission is to promote local culture and preserve local heritage through the telling of tales across multiple platforms. We endeavour to be leaders in public engagement, embedding training and outreach into our process of creation and dissemination. FIXT POINT was founded in 2006 and incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in 2011.
To date, we’ve interviewed over 3,000 Canadians from every province and territory in almost 200 communities in our storymobiles (mobile recording studio on wheels); edited and posted hundreds of oral histories on our storymap; produced two seasons of a TV/web series for TVO; and, most recently, we were awarded Touring Artist of the Year from the Canadian Arts Presenting Association (CAPACOA).
- The Tale of a Town Story Map (http://www.thetaleofatown.com)
- TVO Series (https://tvo.org/programs/main-street-ontario)
Learn more at www.fixtpoint.com.